March 17, 2020
12 Simple Home Spring Cleaning Tasks
Whether you are homebound due to the COVID-19 pandemic, or just want to have a focused list of things to do to protect your home against springtime elements, we’ve got a simple list of the top twelve tasks you should tackle.
- Check your roof and chimney for damage and hire someone to make any necessary repairs as soon as you can.
- Clean your gutters and check your downspout direction to steer water away from your foundation.
- Wash your windows and screens, and fix any tears or holes in your screens. Click here for a screen patch tape that works well.
- Check your outdoor outlets to make sure they are clear of debris and/or wasp nests (they love nesting under the covers).
- Check the grade of the land around your foundation and make sure it moves water away from your home.
- Wash your windows inside, check caulking/seals and repair if needed.
- Clean showers and tubs and make sure caulking is in good shape.
- Check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors for dust and cobwebs, and test batteries.
- Vacuum lint from your dryer hose. Here is an infographic with 8 simple steps for cleaning your dryer vent thoroughly.
- Change your furnace filters.
- Test your ground fault circuit interrupter outlets (GFCI) to make sure they are working properly. Plug in a radio, turn it on, then push the test button on the outlet to see if the radio turns off and then on again.
- Check the caulking at your doors and reseal if needed.