Dig Down Deep Safely
Before summer heat sets in, many of us are itching to get our yards back into shape. If your to-do list includes planting trees, installing a sprinkler system, or other landscaping projects that will require digging, it is important to have the utilities in your yard marked before you start your project. Simply go to va.811.com or call 811 to request a Markings Appointment.
On the va811.com website, you can easily check the status of an appointment and get contact information for all of the underground utilities on your property.
Here are some important things to note as you begin your project:
- According to 811, an underground utility line is damaged every 6 minutes because someone decided to dig without calling first.
- Unsafe digging can damage service lines, leading to injury, costly repairs, and/or disruption to service.
- Homeowners should call 811 to have lines marked even for small yards or garden projects just to be safe.
- If working with a contractor, make sure they call in advance of the project.
- You should call 811 at least 3 days before you dig to allow time for all affected service providers to mark their lines.
- Private lines are your responsibility and will not be marked by your state’s 811 service.
- Know the rules in your area before you dig. You can read those here.
Following the above tips can mean a safer and quicker completion of your project. As 811’s Miss Utility slogan says, “To miss the utilities, call “Miss Utility,” before you dig.”
Sources: Acuity.com, va811.com